“Blackpool Progress, the New Masonic Hall”
Of the 38 plans submitted to the monthly meeting of the Blackpool Building Plans Committee, 33 were passed, and these included the plans for the New Masonic Hall to be situated at Upper Adelaide Street.
As early as March 1891 correspondence had passed between Lodges meeting in and around Blackpool on the subject of purchasing rooms or a building to serve as a Masonic Hall. The instigator was Bro. Hopwood, the Secretary of Clifton Lodge No 703. A month later the idea of renting rooms was abandoned in favour of building a new Masonic Hall. One site suggested in 1894 was at the corner of Havelock Street and the Great Marton Road (Central Drive). In 1897, a Committee was formed and, later that year, shares were issued in the name of The Blackpool Masonic Hall Limited.