Memorial Window at Poulton
The proceedings commenced with the unveiling of a memorial window erected in Poulton-le-Fylde Parish church in memory of Dr. John Winn, P.Pr.G.D.C., who was a prominent physician and “a highly respected resident of Poulton”. The window is on the north side of the Church immediately behind the Choir stalls, and is of beautiful design. The window is divided and in the centre of one is a figure of St. John, the Divine. Over the head of each are two angels holding a crown and above these is another angel standing on a canopy, the whole being surrounded with magnificent ecclesiastical decoration. There are several scrolls bearing Biblical quotations. On St. John are the words “In the beginning was the word and the word was God.” The figure of the angel holds a scroll bearing the words “The Lord shall deliver him in times of trouble”. The scroll on St. Luke was “a light to lighten the Gentiles, and to the glory of Thy people Israel”. The angel holding a scroll containing the words “Blessed be the man that provideth for the sick and needy.” The inscription at the bottom was “To the glory of God, and in memory of Dr. John Winn, 1256, P.Pr.G.D.C., W,Lancs, died 28th August 1896, erected by the Freemasons of the Fylde”.
The window was supplied and erected by Messrs. Parkinson, Carter Street, Blackpool.
The ceremony of unveiling was performed by the Right Honourable Lord Skelmersdale, P.G.W., P.Pr.G.W. He arrived at Poulton station shortly after one o’clock, and was met by over 100 Freemasons representing the various Lodges in the Fylde. Inspector O’Hara was present with a posse of police officers, whose duty consisted in keeping the road clear so as to enable the procession to reach the church as quickly as possible. Here his Lordship was met by other freemasons, and he proceeded to the Baptismal Chapel, which was placed at the disposal of the Craft for the purpose of robing. Lord Skelmersdale was then conducted to a seat in the chancel, and an abridged service was conducted by the Rev. T. H. Guest, Vicar, who had the assistance of the Grand Provincial Chaplain, the Rev. S.Y.B. Bradshaw, Vicar of Holy Trinity, South Shore. The cxxxiii Psalm and hymn No 453 were sung, the surpliced choir being in attendance, while Mr. Kay of Blackpool, officiated as organist. The Grand Provincial Chaplain delivered a short address, at the conclusion of which Lord Skelmersdale, without any remark, pulled the cord that held the curtain behind which was the memorial window, and so presented it to the gaze of those inside the sacred edifice. The service then concluded. One Freemason was evidently surprised that nothing was said, for he went so far as to call out in most audible tones “speak”.
The Grand Chaplain’s address in the Church had reference to the wise King Solomon, his text being “Sow in tears to reap in joy”. He mentioned the good qualities of the man they were met to perpetuate that day, whom he said, was beloved by his neighbours, and was esteemed by his brother masons.
The people of Poulton accorded a hearty welcome to the masonic brethren by a display of bunting, flags etc. in the principle streets