It was on a Sunday, 23rd January 1923, that eight masons met at No 43 Park Road Blackpool to discuss the possibility of the formation of a new Lodge to be called “Corinthian Lodge”. At this first meeting it was decided that in the new Lodge, “One meeting in the year should be set aside for instruction”.
At a subsequent meeting, the would-be founders learned that the proposed name “Corinthian” was not acceptable to Provincial Grand Lodge, as a Lodge of that name had been consecrated in 1860. This does not appear to be a satisfactory reason as there are many Lodges of the same name in this Province. However, after some discussion, the name “Fraternal” was decided upon. Also at this meeting six more names were added to the list of founders making a total of fourteen; six from Blackpool Lodge, two each from Sincerity and Fylde and one each from Brotherhhod, St John’s, Great Marton, and Fidelity Lodges.
At a meeting on 3rd March 1923, Bro. Sir Lindsey Parkinson offered to present to the new Lodge a Silver collar for the use of the Worshipful Master. This offer was gratefully received. Fraternal Lodge No 4531 was Consecrated and dedicated according to Ancient Custom on Monday, 29th October 1923 by the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master supported by the Provincial Officers.
Immediately following the Dedication Ceremony, the first regular Meeting of Fraternal Lodge was held and W. Bro. John Monk P.Pr.G.D.C. was duly installed as the first Master of the Lodge. During the war years, Social Boards and other such activities were very much curtailed, but as a result of a meeting of the Fylde Group, Lodges were asked to send a copy of the Lodge Summons to Major Gerald H. McCelland (USAAF) at Warton in order that representatives from American Brethren might be appointed to attend Lodges in their official capacity. The Lodge Tyler’s Book reveals that several brethren from the U.S.A. and elsewhere visited the Lodge during these years. Our work, and the fellowship extended to these visitors, was very much appreciated.
In May 1963 brethren of the Lodge attended a Masonic Service at Blackburn Cathedral. The Fiftieth Anniversary of the Lodge was celebrated on October 8th 1973. Bro. J. Mathison P.Pr.G.Std.B. retired as Secretary of the Lodge after completing twenty-seven years in this capacity.
This brief history of the Lodge is concluded with the sentiments expressed at the head of the Lodge Summons – “Brethren how good and pleasant a thing it is for Brethren to dwell in unity together”